The night vision device is complicated and expensive equipment that allows you to monitor objects at night when the human eye is not sufficiently illuminated. To correctly choose a night vision device, you must first determine what goals you need, familiarize yourself with the recommendations of specialists and find out what characteristics you need to pay attention to. If you do not have enough knowledge, you can always get professional advice from specialists who will need to voice their requirements for the specified equipment, and they will tell you which night vision device is better to buy.
FEATURES OF NIGHT VISION SCOPE
The first such devices began to be produced about 80 years ago. Since that time, developers have been continuously improving them and expanding the possibilities, but the overall device of NVN as not changed much.
The central part of the device is an amplifier, which is an electro-optical converter. The image converter transforms the image invisible to the human eye and makes it visible. In addition to the image intensifier, infra-red converters can be used in such devices, based on a thermal imager or charge-coupled device (CCD array).
Principle of operation
The night vision device works according to the following policy: light enters the lens and focuses on the front of the transducer, that is, in the same way as in a conventional camera. With the help of a converter, the resulting image is amplified, becomes brighter and sharper, and then transmitted to the lens. Already in the lens, a person sees an image.
The converter has the form of a tube, its ends are hermetically sealed, and before that the air is pumped out. The semiconductor is applied to the front wall, and the back is covered with a phosphor. The front wall is connected to a minus, and the rear plus voltage is applied. When a weakly imaged image hits the photocathode, electrons are knocked out of it and sent to the anode at high speed. Getting on the phosphor, they cause it to glow. For a photocathode, it does not matter whether it received an infrared or ultraviolet electron, so the color is lost and a black-green image is obtained.
PNV is used in cases when it is necessary to observe a specific object, and for the human eye, there is not enough brightness. It can be used at night in open areas, as well as in basements or enclosed spaces where there is no possibility of using electric lighting.
Areas of application of such equipment are as follows:
- Army and military operations.
- Providing security: the police, security and other specialized services.
- Hunting and observation of wildlife.
- Navigation and exploration.
To properly select a night vision device, it is necessary to consider the following characteristics:
- Signal / noise ratio (S / N). This indicator characterizes the quality of the picture in poor visibility. In different models, it can be from 3,5 to 36. It is recommended to buy devices in which the ratio (S / N) will be not less than 20.
- Photosensitivity. This indicator is measured in hA/lm and characterizes the dependence of numerical parameters on real exposure.
- Resolution. In this case, the measurement is done in lp / mm. The amount of resolution will depend on the frequency and contrast of the transmitted picture. To obtain a high-quality image, the resolution should be within 30-70 lp / mm.
- Increase. This characteristic is indicated by the first digit in the device name if 5x is written, then from a distance of 50m, you will see the object as from 10m. The PVN usually uses virtually all the same eyepieces, and the magnification depends only on the lens.
- The size of the lens. The lens should create the maximum amount of dim light that comes from the observed object. The larger the diameter of the lens, the brighter the picture will be produced by the NVN. In modern models of aperture, the ratio of the focus to the diameter of the lens, within 1.5-2. The smaller this number, the more luminous the lens will be.
- A line of sight. This indicator characterizes the size of the covered area of the survey, what it will be higher, the larger the area will capture the device. Remember that with increasing the multiplicity of the device, the field of view decreases.
- Focusing. This indicator indicates the distance at which when observing the object, it will get a clear image of it. For people who have poor eyesight, you need to purchase models with the possibility of dioptric correction of the eyepiece.
- Dimensions and weight. With long-term use of such equipment, its dimensions and weight are of great importance. This is very important in the case of using a night vision sight, which should be small in size and weight, as well as high manufacturing quality and reliable fastening.
Types of Night Vision Devices
Monocular: Such a device looks like a telescope, so you can only look at it with one eye. This is the most affordable and common option, which has a small size and weight, a reliable and straightforward design, as well as low cost.
Binoculars: This device can be civil or military, its difference from a monocular is that binocular vision is provided, and this allows a more accurate and realistic evaluation of what has been seen. The cost of binoculars will be higher, as it consists of two monoculars, connected in a single design. Such devices provide multiple increases, while the picture is clear.
Glasses: In this case, usually one electron-optical converter is used, but thanks to optics, pseudomolecular vision is realized since the received visual signal is divorced for each eye separately. Externally, this device looks like a single lens and two eyepieces. Points using straps are attached to the head or helmet, so the person’s hands remain free, and he can use weapons, tools, drive a car and perform other work. In such equipment there is usually no approximation function, so the distance to the observed object is estimated adequately.
Sights: They have a similar design with monocular, but they have a sighting grid and the ability to quickly and securely fix on small arms.
First generation night vision devices: These devices are the most sold because of their affordability. They are also quite easy to use and offer pretty good performance. These devices detect and amplify ambient light in almost all weather conditions. They are the favorite of night safari lovers and night hikers.
Second generation night vision devices: These devices are the most used models by the security services and the police. Much more expensive than first-generation devices, they offer better performance than the latter. Moreover, they “illuminate” a greater distance and can identify an object more than 200 m.
Third generation night vision devices: These cameras offer better quality images than second-generation models. They are therefore also more expensive than these. They are equipped with an amplification system with a chemical filter that lightens the darkness even more. Also, they have been designed to automatically adjust their parameters according to the intensity of ambient light.
Fourth generation and later night vision devices: These devices are the most upscale, and they offer unparalleled image quality. They are therefore also the most expensive. These models are used by the army of many countries and some wealthy people. They provide the best performance in environments with very low light.
How Does a Night Vision Device Work?
Night vision devices are optico-electronic devices that can see in the dark by amplifying the light around. Unlike telescopes or binoculars, they were not designed to see very far. Most models do not offer zoom, To “illuminate the darkest nights,” these devices are usually equipped with susceptible photoelectric sensors that accentuate the reflection of light to provide a vision almost like the light of day. However, there are also some that use infrared rays. The latest models combine these two processes for a better result.
Firefield FF16001 NVRS 3x 42mm Gen 1 Night Vision Riflescope, Black (250-300)
This Firefield FF16001 product is suitable for every age. This is usually used to hit a target in the darkest night. This product is so much strong with rock-solid titanium body Compared to other product it is easy to handle because of its lightweight frame. Its ergonomic and nourished design ensures durability. With 3x magnifications power it provides clear and high-quality images, and also it’s the most potent night vision scope in its price range. It made with in-built IR illuminator that helps you to work in extreme darkness. This IR illumination system raises the viewing range in darkness it has duplex reticles that improve the precision and the reticles illuminated in the red color which will enhance the accuracy that you can operate in dark it has rubber-winged eyecup by which you will not get any claim with a spill-over of light from the back of the lens. With Quick Detach Weaver Mount system this gives easy access to the users. It restrains excessive reflection of light with a multicoated lens.
- Design: It has a nourished and ergonomic design.
- Material: The body of this product is made of rock-solid titanium.
- Dimensions: 9 x 3.2 x 3.4 inches; 1.8 pounds;
- Weight: 2.9 pounds
- Performance: Resolution is very much high with a high-quality image. Also, the size of the product is very much flexible,
- Magnification: It has 3x magnification power
- Illumination: It built-in IR illuminator.
Sightmark SM18008 Photon XT 4.6x42S Digital Night Vision Riflescope
The Sightmark SM18008 is one of the best digital night vision scopes that provides many unique features compared with others. Such as the sensor used in the product is CMOS sensor, LCD used in this product. The lens of the product made by glass and the product is made by glass-nylon metal. It is 30% lightweight than others. It has a higher resolution power and also provides the bright and polished image. It becomes unique with 4.6x magnification power. It has six reticles option that you can prefer to enhance precision. With the video output feature, you can capture anything during day and night. It has 805nm LED IR illumination power. It has the longer battery life which can give you a better experience. You can use it during both day and night. So if you want to use night vision scope, the Sightmark SM18008 can be the best choice for the better experience.
- Material: The body of the product is made by glass-nylon composite/metal, and the lens is made of the glass;
- Dimension: Its dimension is 398x75x80mm;
- Weight: Its weight is 3 pounds. It also 30% lightweight than others;
- Resolution: It has high display resolution power approximately 38 lines per mm and also provide a clear and polished image;
- Magnification: It offers a higher magnification with its 4.6x magnification power;
- Illumination: It has 805nm LED IR illumination power
- IR power: IR produces 100mW power. And three output level low, medium and high ;
- Video Output: With the video output feature one can easily capture anything;
- Weather resistant: It’s a weather resistant and shockproof product with IPX4-rated.
Bushnell 4.5X40 Equinox Z Digital Night Vision W/Mount – 260140MT
The Bushnell 4.5X40 Equinox Z Digital Night Vision is the best product for that shooter who wants outstanding optical clarity in both day and night. It has 4.5x magnification power which provides a better experience. : It offers the exotic and clear image to the user with its image capturing features. The user can capture anything in both day and night with the characteristic of video capturing. With infrared illuminator, it provides excellent illumination up to 750ft viewing. It has longer battery life. It has excellent and adjustable IR brightness. With its unique features, it can be a tool for success in your adventure.
- Dimensions: The dimension of the product is 10.5 x 5 x 3.2 inches; 2.2 pounds;
- Weight: The weight of this product is 2.6 pounds and it also lightweight than other product;
- Magnification: The magnification power of this product is 4.5 x which provide better output than others;
- Image output: It offers the exotic and clear image to the user by which customer get a better experience;
- Video output: It has video capturing feature by which user can capture anything in both day and night;
- Illumination: It has excellent illumination power with infrared illuminator up to 750ft viewing;
- Battery: The battery type of this product is 4 x AA which gives a longer battery life;
- Color: This product is black;
- IR power: It has light and adjustable IR light sensitivity.
Armasight Nemesis 6X GEN 2+ QS Quick Silver White Phosphor Night Vision Rifle Scope, Black
The Armasight Nemesis 6X GEN 2+ QS Quick Silver White Phosphor Night Vision Rifle Scope, Black is the best product for hunting and shooting. Users can use this item in both day and night mood. It has the highest 6x magnification power with 6.5 FOV which give a hunter a great experience. It’s a lightweight product and also easy to operate. This product has detachable infrared IR power. The product has two years warranty also. With its water resistant capacity, you can use it in everywhere and at any time. It is very much simple and easy to operate by which user get comfort by using this. By its extraordinary magnification capacity, it can provide a better experience to the user. So for a better experience and easy usage one can afford this product without any confusion.
- Magnification: It has 6x Magnification with 6.5 degrees FOV which provides a shooter an excellent experience;
- Dimension: The dimension of the product is 388 x 102 x 71 mm / 15.3 x 4 x 2.8 in;
- Weight: The weight of this product is 1.9 kg (4.2 lbs) and its very much lightweight;
- Illumination: It illuminated the center with red cross reticle for optimal contrast;
- IR power: It has detachable infrared IR power which gives you a better experience;
- Water resistant: This product is water resistant and also shock protected;
- Warranty: The product provide a two-year warranty;
- Reticle brightness: The reticle color is red and has variable reticle brightness;
- Resolution: The resolution power is 47-54 lp/mm which gives an excellent and polished image.
ATN ThOR-HD, 384×288 Sensor, 1.25-5x Thermal Smart HD Rifle Scope
The ATN ThOR-HD, 384×288 Sensor, 1.25-5x Thermal Smart HD Rifle Scope is one of the best thermal scopes in the market. It offers many different features. It has smooth zooming capacity and also has WIFI and Bluetooth system. It also has the 3D gyroscope, 3D accelerometer, the 3D magnetometer which makes it different from others. It has an electronic compass to find out your target. It also has a profile manager by which you can efficiently operate this device. Excellent image performance with 384×288 sensor gives you an excellent experience. You can easily use it in both day and night mode. The high-quality resolution power gives a clear image. The product has three years warranty. For the more extended use, you can easily afford this product.
- Magnification: The magnification power Range 1.25 – 5 x;
- An image capturing: It can capture clear and excellent image performance with 384×288 Sensor for your better experience;
- Video output: It has the video recording capacity in both day and night mode;
- Weight: The weight of the product is 3.5 pounds;
- Dimension: The dimension of this is 10 x 6 x 6 inches; 2 pounds;
- Resolution: The resolution capacity of this product is 384×288 Pixels and also provide the great image capturing experience;
- Weather resistant: This product is IP rating weather resistant and even shockproof;
- Warranty: It has a 3-year warranty;
- Battery life: It has 8+ hours of battery life.
Armasight ORION 5X Gen 1+ Night Vision Rifle Scope
The Armasight ORION 5X Gen 1+ Night Vision Rifle Scope is an outstanding product for a hunter. It contains many different features which differentiate it from other product. This device provides a superior magnification power which gives a better experience. The water-resistant system keeps the product harm free and also durable. It is very comfortable to use for its rubberized body. It provides infrared illumination system. With this device, you can get the clear and excellent image. The battery duration is excellent. It offers an excellent price, and you can afford this device at a reasonable price. It is also straightforward to operate.
- Dimensions: The dimension of this product is 323 x 118 x 104 mm / 12.7 x 4.6 x 4.1 in;
- Weight: It is very lightweight, and the weight is 1.7 kg / 3.7 lbs ;
- Magnification: This device maintains superior 5x magnification power;
- Water resistant: This night vision scope contains a water resistant feature which protects the device from any harm and also gives durability;
- Shock protected: The optics of this product is shockproof;
- Rubberized body: For easy handling, this product has a rubberized body which also enhances the level of comfort;
- Warranty: It has limited two years warranty;
- Battery life: The battery life of this product is an average of 40-hour duration;
- Powerful resolution: For clear image, it provides a powerful resolution.
Armasight Vampire 3X Night Vision Rifle Scope (CORE IIT, 60-70 lp/mm)
The Armasight Vampire 3X Night Vision Rifle Scope is built in core technology which provides double resolution. This core platform offers good resolution capacity which provides little image capacity. The body of the device made from solid aluminum and O-ring is sealed and rubber coated for further protection. The device has the adjustable fine reticle that makes the precise shot placement. This product is straightforward and easy to operate. It is a shock protected product which provides durability and reliability. You can use it in both day and night and so it is appropriate for a hunter.
- Dimensions: The dimension of this device is 10.8 x 3.4 x 3.7 in;
- Weight: The weight of the product is 3 lb it also very lightweight;
- Magnification: 3x magnification power which gives a better experience;
- Shock protected: It’s a shockproof device which provides durability;
- Technology: It contains core technology which includes double the resolution of Gen 1 devices;
- Battery: It contains low battery indicator;
- Water resistant: This device is also water, dust and fog proof that increase the reliability;
- Illuminator: Include detachable long-range infrared illuminator.
ATN X-Sight II HD 5-20 Smart Day/Night Rifle Scope w/1080p
The ATN X-Sight II HD 5-20 Smart Day/Night Rifle Scope w/1080p is a shooting solution for the shooters and hunters. It offers some unique features. It has an electronic compass which provides precise direction. It has multiple reticle patterns and seven reticle colors. It has the smooth zoom system which gives you a better experience. The ballistic calculator helps in calculating. It is also weather resistant and shockproof. The unique feature of this device is the sound recording system. This device is durable and reliable. So for the better experience, you can use this product.
- Dimensions: The dimension of this device is 14 x 8 x 5 inches; 2.2 pounds;
- Weight: The weight of this device is 4.9 pounds. It seems a heavyweight;
- Magnification: The magnification power is 5 – 20 X;
- Electronic compass: Another smart feature is electronic compass which is powered by 3D magnetometer sensor
- Smooth zoom: By this feature, you can zoom smoothly for getting clear image;
- Night vision mood: It does not have the night vision mood;
- Multiple reticle options: It has seven different reticle colors;
- Wi-Fi: It has Wi-Fi network capability;
- Ballistic calculator: Another unique feature is a ballistic calculator;
- Weather resistant: The product also has weather resistant capability.
Bushnell Equinox Z Digital Night Vision Monocular
The Bushnell 260150 may well attract your attention when you study different comparisons. They are both light and not bulky, but it will be especially his performance that will arouse your interest. They will indeed be a formidable efficiency in the dark.
The rubber coating is both pleasant to the touch, and of great use, since it will make your glasses significantly less sensitive to shocks. These Bushnells are not just robust, they are also waterproof (IPX4) and will not fear the weather. They would be perfect for use outdoors, in the wild. For long-term observations, you will be able to install your glasses on a tripod.
- Illuminator: It has integrated infrared illuminator that can range 300 meters in the dark.
- Magnification: It has 6x magnification power with the 50mm objective lens that can give you a clear picture.
- Image: During the day, the images observed and recorded will have quite realistic colors. Indeed, these 260150 can record photos and videos.
- Range: This night vision comes with the highest ranges. It deserves a place of choice that can reach 300 meters.
Bushnell Night Watch with Built-in Infrared Monocular
To allow you to see the night as if it were daylight, the Bushnell night watch uses an integrated infrared illuminator as well as the most powerful technology of light accumulation. You will not be surprised by what happens in the dark, because you will see everything that happens around. The rubber coating offers a double advantage: it not only gives you a safer and more comfortable grip, but it also gives your glasses excellent shock protection.
Convenience is here at the rendezvous. This model can indeed be installed on a tripod for a fixed observation during an extended period. You will be less stressed and feel less tired.
Bushnell, the best brand of night vision scope according to many consumers, offers here the 260224, glasses with integrated infrared illuminator with a maximum range of 122 meters.
- Built-In Infrared Illuminator: Using advanced light accumulation technology, you’ll be able to see in the dark as if it were daylight, up to a range of up to 122 meters.
- Coating: It is rubber, which has the advantage of giving you a better grip, but also to make your glasses much less sensitive to shocks and falls.
- Practical: This model can be mounted on a tripod for long-term observation. Its use will be a little less tiring, and you will have much more stable images during your inspections.
- Protection: It has a particular shock protection facility.
Ultimate Buying Guide for choosing The best Night Vision Scope
The main point of interest to future buyers is the amplification that glasses allow. This is the topic I will discuss first in this buying guide for the best night vision scope. To allow you to see in the dark, these devices must amplify the little ambient light. It is this level of amplification that will allow you to know the performance of this observation tool. The best advice will not push you to take the glasses that offer the best amplification compulsorily. They will tell you to take the next level depending on how you use the instrument.
For recreation, a device of the 1st generation is more than enough. They offer an amplification that revolves around 1,000 times. The visibility is average, the subjects to observe are noticeable with enough clarity but are sometimes deformed on the edges. For scientific uses, 2nd generation glasses are recommended. With an amplification that goes from 20,000 to 30,000 times, the rendering is better, the details more visible. The definition of the image is appreciable. For military use or further scientific observations, glasses of 3rd generation are needed. The light will be amplified 30,000 to 50,000 times. The definition is excellent. The images are clear and precise.
Scope and magnification
The range is the radius of vision of the glasses. It varies according to the generation of the device. For those of the first, the range is a hundred meters. Those of the second can allow you to see a few tens of meters more. And of course, the units of the 3rd generation are the most effective. They have a range that can exceed 200 meters. If you have the means (or if your use requires you), these are the ones to choose. Remember to consult a price comparison to make sure you choose the tool that fits your budget. The magnification goes from 1x to 7x for the most powerful. It is smaller compared to conventional binoculars, and it’s quite reasonable.
Before you start looking for where to buy new night vision goggles, I must discuss one last criterion: clutter!
Whether for an amateur observation during a hike or camping or more severe use, the glasses are intended for nomadic jobs. That is, they must be transported wherever their faculties are needed. And given the package of hiking or the necessary scientist (or military), it is better not to weigh down with big night vision goggles. The ideal remains a compact tool, low volume, and medium weight, as long as it does not lose its effectiveness. Current technology makes it possible to create devices of small size but which remain very efficient.
Advantages and Disadvantages
To date, there are several generations of PNV: the first, second and third. The device of night vision of the first and second generation has practically the same device and their difference in the best amplification of visible light and the fact that the latest models have no exposure. In third- generation devices, another principle of operation is used, which is based on photocathodes. This solution allowed to reduce the weight and dimensions of the device, improve the quality and clarity of the image.
The main advantages of night vision monocular:
- Even inexpensive models make it possible to obtain a high-quality image of the object observed at night.
- The presence of built-in infrared illumination, allows you to get a brighter and better picture.
- Affordable cost.
- Lightweight and size.
Speaking of digital NVOs, they have the following advantages:
- Can operate at air temperatures from -20 to +50 degrees.
- It is possible to connect a remote battery so that the device can work without interruption for up to 20 hours.
- There is a memory that allows you to save information about previously made edits.
- The presence of an IR-emitter allows for hidden and safe observation.
- A wide range of different settings.
- There is a video output. Therefore the received information can be immediately recorded on an external medium.
I am sure you will not regret your purchase if you purchase one of the night vision goggles on this list. I have personally tested them all, and the Firefield FF16001 NVRS is superior to the others on all points. Do not hesitate to comment if you have questions. I would be happy to answer. Thank you for being here.